Tuesday, June 25, 2013

0 Impression and Expression

So let's talk about impression and expression. I think everyone enjoys music. Doesn't matter whatever genre that you like, there is always reason why you like that kind of genre. As for me, I go for ballad, rock ballad, pop and r&b. Ever since I started learning music, I couldn't help but to find out what kind of genre that particular is in.


I've been getting a lot of comments from my family bout me listening to chinese radio (ONE Fm is my favorite). Well yes, I wanted to improve my mandarin through listening though I still find it hard to understand. My mandarin is not yet at the stage where that word can be processed instantly when I listened to it. But let's leave it to that. The main reason I've been listening to chinese radio is because of the songs.


Chinese songs, when I listened to most of them in One Fm fits in the genres I like. Of course, other artists are just as talented. But as I try not to flame our local artists, we can produce better music. I've always liked Ombak Rindu. It is one of the best malay songs ever produced.


However, that very difference is that, almost, almost every chinese song that I like have this very beautiful lyrics. Beautiful lyric that even one touch trying to translate it into another language would ruin the song. That's the strong side of it. As of now, this element has started to fade out from our local industries. We're losing this beautiful lyric, to the point that, if the song is composed with beautiful lyric, that song would sound very odd to listen to.


And as I go deeper into music, I started to notice that, I started to give more attention to this so called expression. It is something that only happens when you throw yourself inside the song. I've started to judge every singers I listened to base on that. If I'm watching the music video, I will close my eyes to reach the song. If I got goosebumps, then the feeling reached me well and that also portrays how the singer has thrown himself/herself inside the song.


But of course, judging is extremely easy. Because you can just enjoy and judge whatever people are doing because you are not standing at their very spot. Regardless I think, for a singer to give the expression of the song is not that hard. Because I know as I am doing something harder.


At least, singers have the song lyrics that will help you to interpret the music. That actually helps them to understand that song even better. Imagine if what you are playing is just a piece of music sheet, without lyric, with just that bulat-bulat thing and the bulat thing with tail. Na zenmeban? (aha one malaysia kan? zheli you quanbu de yu. yang aku tahu je).


If you ever read piano sheet, then you can see there's an indication by every composers, on how to play that part. But the hard part is to get into the song that you don't know how you are supposed to express. Just based on the part of either it is forte or whatever, you are going to play it, giving the dynamic and expression of the song.


I notice how hard it is when I try it but yes, because you experienced, you are longing for more expressions and more emotion when you listen to someone singing. I had a talk with my fellow "singers" friend (well we were in the same group back then). He asked about someone that sang on youtube channel for some sort of competition.


I simply put, he got good voice, amazing vocal control, but he failed the emotion. I can't feel it. As the emotion started to build up, it went down. And I think the minus for that video is that he used too much, err well, what do you say it in english, well whatever. Its arabic now: burdah. Aha! Well burdah is some sort of vocal shake, I guess I can say that. It works very well in Qasidah, Nasyeed, Irama Asli. But as you sing other kind of song, adding burdah actually could drag down the song. Forget about originality, yes, you are giving your new breath to it, but it doesn't goes well with every song. Keep it moderate, and it'll be better.


I used to sing with burdah myself because I was in nasyeed and my teenage years was filled in with nasyeed songs and I used to learn Qasidah for Al-Quran recitation. So my vocal was pretty much build up to carry burdah to the point that I used to sing Melly Goeslow song Ku Bahagia with burdah and one of my friends told me not to ruin that song.


So yeah, I started to adjust to it because not every song will sound nice with burdah. Now I removed burdah from singing and only use during Al-Quran recitation. Just keep the song moderate and stay as it is. Ad lib is okay but not burdah. But make sure you made a good ad lib though.


P.S.: Its hard to give the emotion

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

:: Bila Angin Berbicara :: Copyright © 2011 - |- Template created by O Pregador - |- Powered by Blogger Templates